How to detect fingerprint and type of the key from pubring.gpg(public keyring file)?

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 09:56:59 CEST 2013

Hi,

thanks for the reply!

>> I think "method" in the example above is just indicating that this is a PGP key.

Exactly. However, how does RIPE server-side software detect that it's
a PGP key? Is this information(besides other information like key
creation date and UID) written into pubring.gpg file during the
creation of the public key?

>> No.  The fingerprint is based on the key material only.  You can add/change UIDs without the fingerprint changing.

Indeed. I revoked my current UID and changed it to another one and
both public and private key fingerprints remained the same. So the key
fingerprint is a hashed key material? Is it a SHA-1, MD5 or some other
type of hash?

regards,
Martin