Identifying your private key by the public KeyID

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Aug 6 14:18:12 CEST 2013

On 06/08/13 12:38, Kenneth Jones wrote:
> Is it normal to refer to the private key by its own keyID, or by the KeyID
> of the mating public key?

Key IDs are /always/ based on the public key, not the private counterpart. So
the private key is also identified by the ID of the related public key. Can
you give an example of where you see different IDs which led you to believe the
private key had a different ID? Because I think you misunderstood something
about that.

HTH,

Peter.