Question about notations and domains

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Aug 9 17:10:22 CEST 2013

On Aug 9, 2013, at 2:43 AM, Khelben Blackstaff <eye.of.the.8eholder at gmail.com> wrote:

> I only replied to Mr. Shaw and not to the list so i send this again.
>
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 00:09:29 -0400
> David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
>
>> There are two namespaces here.  If a tag is defined by the IETF
>> process, then there is no @domain at all.  The @domain tags are used
>> when regular users want to define a tag.
>>
>> Anyway, so it's true that you can use the @domain notation to
>> differentiate between a tag you use and the same tag used by someone
>> else, but this shouldn't be interpreted as that you should always use
>> the local domain.  The domain is set by whoever defines the tag.
>>
>> In this case, the preferred-email-encoding tag was defined by the
>> pgp.com people.  Thus preferred-email-encoding at pgp.com is the proper
>> string to use.
>>
>> David
>>

> Yes i understood the two namespaces but i had not understood that the
> proper domain is the one of the person who defines the tag. I had
> the impression that everyone should use his own domain.
>
> So, in the case of the issuer-fpr notation, which if i am not wrong
> was introduced by Mr. Gillmor, the proper notation is
> issuer-fpr at notations.openpgp.fifthhorseman.net and not
> issuer-fpr at my.domain.tld ?

Sort of.  Basically, if you want the semantics of the tag as defined by a particular person, you use their tag.  If you want different semantics, you can use your own tag (possibly using the same tag name, but @ your own domain).  In the case of the issuer-fpr tag specifically, I'd use dkg's tag.  It's straightforward and well defined.

David