[OT] Re: How to create new keyring from an existing key in an existing keyring?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Mon Aug 12 20:55:47 CEST 2013

On 12/08/13 14:04, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
>> gpg --export 0xDEADBEEF | gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring \
>> /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/meat.gpg --import
> Assumes /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d exists and is a folder (good assumption for
> Debian based, not so good for RPM based)

I simply took his own example.

> # chmod 1777 /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d

Bad idea. It makes my eyes hurt, 1777 and trusted directly next to eachother ;).

I think it's not really directly related to the question, but if it were
relevant, I'd say that the correct way would be to let the ordinary user create
the file elsewhere and then have root move it to that directory, /after/
changing ownership of the file to root.

> Is the "meat" some sort of comment that adrelanos will be dead meat?

Eh? A bit sinister interpretation, but okay: I took 0xDEADBEEF for the fact that
it's a 32-bit identifier that's mildly funny. I still needed a filename for the
keyring, so I stored the dead beef in the meat file.

Cheers,

Peter.