Can I create domain keys?

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Wed Aug 14 17:01:32 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:17:36PM +0200, Jan Eden wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 10:06:59AM +0000, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:

> > > "bar at example.com"

> > > You can use each key for each mail, your sender address doesn't have to
> > > be the address in the key.
> > >

> > I am not saying you are wrong because I don't know. But it does
> > seem dangerous from a real world practical point of view.
> > Should I really be able to send a message pretending to come
> > from herrprofessor at monsters.edu when I am really just a visitor
> > to the University being awarded an Honery degree?  Part of that
> > was being given a hhhobbit at monsters.edu email account since
> > all people granted a Ph.D. are also given an email account that
> > they can use until they are dead unless they ask that it be
> > closed down.
>
> I can always create a key for herrprofessor at monsters.edu and send
> messages from this address signed with the key. But if I do not control
> the domain (or at least a mailbox associated with the address), I will
> never receive replies to my forged messages.

I see I am insufficiently devious.  I was assuming that the message
was signed with hhhobbit's key, not a forged key.

Now there are two possibilities.  If Herr Professor has no PGP key or
has never used it, then the signature has no reputation and should be
verified out-of-band.  Otherwise, there are now two keys asserting
that address and not linked by cross-signatures.  Suspicious, verify
out-of-band.

It seems unduly risky.  Traditional methods of forgery try to bury one
identity under another, but forging PK certificates *asserts* a new
identity.  It feels to me like making too much noise -- it attracts
attention just when and where the forger wants to *deflect* attention.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.