need help for GPG 1.2.1 binary for REHL 5.8

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Aug 20 23:02:17 CEST 2013

On 20/08/13 22:37, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>> You're trying to install a version released in 2002 on an OS released in 2012.
>
> True, but Red Hat support their major releases for 10 years, so implying
> that the O.P.'s release is obsolete is a bit extreme.

I didn't mean to say the OS is old or obsolete :). I meant the GnuPG version was
much older than the OS, so people don't usually make such a combination, hence
people don't build those binaries.

(Actually, RHEL 5 is from 2007, I only looked at the release date of the update,
so I accidentally made it sound more extreme than it was)

> The 5.9 has gnupg2-2.0.10-3.el5.1.i386 as its current release

It might make a lot of sense to install the latest (or at least a recent and
supported) version of the 1.4 tree. Or it might make sense to install 2.0 as you
say, but the upgrade path from 1.2.1 to 1.4.x is easier.

HTH,

Peter.