Serpent?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Aug 22 17:35:50 CEST 2013

On Aug 22, 2013, at 10:15 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:

> On 08/22/2013 09:56 AM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>> GnuPG extends this with support for Camellia-128, Camellia-192 and
>> Camellia-256.  I don't know the reasoning for introducing Camellia, but
>> I'm sure there's a solid basis for it.
>
> Camellia in OpenPGP is now a published part of the spec, complete with
> symmetric algorithm number assignments from the IANA:
>
>  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5581
>
>> The best way to get GnuPG to support SERPENT is to convince the IETF
>> OpenPGP Working Group to add SERPENT to the symmetric cipher profiles.
>
> And the best way to do get started on the path to standardization is to
> provide a patch for an existing implementation (probably using an
> algorithm number from the experimental range [0] that implements it, to
> demonstrate feasibility.
>
> Using RFC 5581 as a template for the proposed draft would probably be
> the quickest path to getting it documented and agreed upon in an
> acceptable way.

If anyone wants the xml2rfc source for RFC-5581, just let me know.  You can make almost any "add this cipher algorithm to OpenPGP" draft with very little more than cut and paste on top of that.  Of course, that's just gives you a draft document.  There are quite a few more steps in producing a RFC.

David