Serpent?

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Sat Aug 24 05:37:39 CEST 2013

On 08/23/2013 11:00 PM, Faramir wrote:
> El 22-08-2013 9:56, Robert J. Hansen escribió:
>> GnuPG extends this with support for Camellia-128, Camellia-192 and
>> Camellia-256.  I don't know the reasoning for introducing Camellia,
>> but I'm sure there's a solid basis for it.
>
>   IIRC, somebody said, a long long time ago, that Japan had some
> requirements for using Camellia, so I guess if GnuPG doesn't have it,
> japanese people can't use it without some "you are using an
> unnapproved cipher" or something like that. But I can't even remember
> who said Japan likes Camellia, so maybe that's not the reason.

Nippon Telegraph and Telephone developed the Camellia ciphers:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4312.txt

Advice is given that it is available for use in OpenPGP:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5581.txt

The reason that it is there is because somebody (most likely
the Japanese) wants it and even my semi-old Linux distros have
it in older versions of gpg1 and gpg2

$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.10
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
        CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.16
libgcrypt 1.4.6
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
        CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256

I updated my handy-dandy cheat-sheet for settings I got from
somebody else so you know their designations and can add them
into mix of ciphers with preference:

http://www.securemecca.com/public/GnuPG/GnuPG_Prefs.txt

I will probably add Camellia-128 after TwoFish some place in
there among the AES ciphers and may even let it replace one of
them but will keep AES (AES-128).  So if you want to use one of
the Camllia ciphers use them in good health.

Let me know when Serpent is avaiable.

HHH