GNUPG and Cast6

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Thu Aug 29 22:12:21 CEST 2013

On 08/29/2013 06:01 PM, Csabi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Why does not support GNUPG the CAST6 (256 bit key) variant of the CAST
> algorithm?
> It supports the CAST5 (128 bit key) variant and it is the default cipher.
>
> Best regards, Csabi

Because there is no RFC for it in OpenPGP.  Unless there is an
RFC for it being in OpenPGP they won't put it there.  Here is
RFC advice on CAST6 (CAST-256):

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2612.txt

Before you flail away at getting it added read this and follow
up by looking at the source links first:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAST-256

CAST6 was passed over and wasn't one of the five AES finalists.
It is very unlikely that it will ever be included.  CAST5 was
included when very little else was available.  In reality CAST5
is probably more than adequate for my needs despite the fact
that I have TWOFISH as the preferred first choice.  The main
weakness of encryption is PEBKAC and I have more than my fair
share of the illness.  So I focus my attention for improvement
there.

HHH