Renewing expiring key - done correctly?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Dec 5 21:14:08 CET 2013

On Thursday 05 December 2013 19:47:57 Hauke Laging wrote:
> Am Do 05.12.2013, 19:30:07 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > your assertion is correct.
> >

> > In the first scenario

> > it is incorrect because the attacker cannot extend the validity of
> > the revoked key.
>
> You misunderstand the attack.

No. I don't. :-) The attack involving control over the system time came
up later in the thread.

For every countermeasure there is an attack that circumvents this
countermeasure, bribery and torture probably being the most effective
attacks. But this doesn't mean that your argument for using key
expiration, i.e. to "force" the users of the key to update the key
regularly, is wrong. It just means that your argument doesn't work if
your adversary can control your system clock. OTOH, your argument works
if the key has been compromised by an adversary like me and you, e.g. by
a colleague of the key owner (who does not happen to work for a three
letter organization).

Regards,
Ingo