a maximally simplified GUI for OpenPGP (no code)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 12 14:24:18 CET 2013

Moin Hauke,

On Wednesday 11 December 2013 at 01:57:59, Hauke Laging wrote:
> some time ago I had a discussion about what a really simple crypto GUI
> should look like. This is the result:
> http://www.crypto-fuer-alle.de/wishlist/simple-crypto-gui/index.en.html

thanks for caring and sharing.

A few random thoughts:

* I'm not quite sure what the aim of your gui is. To create a nice and usable
gui (which then automatically means it has to be understandable and as simple
as possible) we need to know what it should do. In my point of view most of
the "crypto" problem should be done in the application that needs the crypto
operations. So End-to-End Email -> Email application. File
Encryption/Decryption -> File manager. Managing "contacts", your PIM or Email
application. So what tasks are still left?

* Gnupg can do CMS for S/MIME and OpenPGP for PGP/MIME,  there have been long
discussions over the Gpg4win compendium that led to the suggestion to call
the "public key part" _certificate_. Thjs could improve your gui's wording.

* The hard part, IMO is to build, maintain and somehow display the trust path
and its level to the communication partners. Your draft does not address this
part. E.g. your gui is used to find a certificate for "Hauke Laging", now you
can import it, but how does the user know its you?

Best,
Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner