(OT) signature generation failed (was show-uid-validity default to yes)

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Dec 12 20:45:44 CET 2013

On 12/12/13 20:37, Peter Lebbing wrote:

And that was all... I never intended to sign, but I have Enigmail's option
"Encrypt/sign replies to encrypted/signed message" turned on because I don't
want to forget encrypting when I reply to encrypted mail, which is especially
important if you quote something. So Enigmail wanted to sign the message, but I
don't have my card reader plugged in. Normally it complains, but this time it
sent this message with just the header and no footer. It's less annoying than
the time it ASCII-armoured an ASCII-armoured OpenPGP message in much the same
way (the recipient thought his mail client wasn't decrypting, but it was
actually only doing it once and showing the inner "layer").

I should probably file a feature request for two separate checkboxes:
- "Sign replies to signed message"
- "Encrypt replies to encrypted message"

Anyway, now you know why you see the strange header/no-footer combo: it was a
bug triggered by an unavailable smartcard reader (I think).

Peter.