show-uid-validity default to yes

Fri Dec 13 21:05:59 CET 2013

Am Fr 13.12.2013, 15:37:59 schrieb Werner Koch:

> The majority of users are using a GUI and thus the command line version
> does not matter at all.

Strange argument IMHO. Would you say the same about Linux? 99% of the desktop
users don't know that there is a shell / console layer thus it's not important
whether Linux has a good shell?

I think in both cases the 1% are much more important than their tiny share
implies because it is mostly the users who are very familiar with a software
who care about spreading it.

On the other hand we should support the development of pure users to users
with relevant knowledge. This development is supported by a better console
tool. Thus I believe that it does make sense to think about it how

1) gpg can be made easier to use

2) gpg can help the users understand the situation better.

> Although people should know better, I am pretty
> sure that there are many scripts out which parse the human readable
> output.  Such a change would break them.

Maybe. But it is trivial to check whether gpg runs as part of a script, isn't
it? It already does so today. I have forgotten where it is done but some
output formatting is changed depending on whether the output is written to a
tty or not.

And if someone writes a script with such tricks that the script environment
cannot easily be detected and then even complains about that then my reaction
would probably be non-verbal.

It might be easier to decide to have some changes if these are not planned for
future versions of 1.4 or 2.0 but for 2.1 only. There have been output format
changes from 1.4.x to 2.0.x, too.

And to avoid a situation wich such arguing in the future (i.e. 2.1.x) it might
be a good idea to "enforce" avoiding the use of non-script output for scripts
by making small changes (irrelevant to the human reader) in the output format
in every version.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/