encryption algorithm

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Dec 17 20:28:58 CET 2013

> Thanks a bunch that was easy.  So mine is 2048 with AES-256.  So whats
> all the complaining about the defaults?

Well, yes and no.

When you encrypt an email for someone else, two *different* preference
lists are consulted.  The first is found in gpg.conf (or, if it's not
there, it uses default values).  The second is found on your
recipient's certificate.  So if you're looking at the preference list
on your own certificate, that doesn't tell you what algorithm you'll
be using -- it only tells you what algorithms other people may use in
their traffic to you.

With respect to "all the complaining about the defaults": excellent
damn question, and I wish I had the answer.