encryption algorithm

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Dec 18 05:02:41 CET 2013

On 12/17/2013 10:57 PM, Matt D wrote:
> Lets assume I run Ubuntu live from USB stick or cd when I need secure
> messaging so an attacker cannot predict what machine i will send my
> message from and there will be nothing left on the machine.  The
> encrypted message is captured but the adversary does not have access
> to me.  What sort of attack has any chance to decrypt the message?

Beating your kneecaps into pulp, hiring a hooker to persuade the secret
out of you, beating your recipient's kneecaps into pulp, hiring a hooker
to persuade the secret out of your correspondent, Van Eycking your
terminal, Van Eycking your recipient's terminal, figuring out a way to
plant an exploit on your USB stick... I could go on for quite some time,
but you get the idea.  The best ways to recover the message do not
involve cryptanalysis, and the non-cryptanalytic means are devastatingly
effective.