encryption algorithm

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Dec 18 11:41:38 CET 2013

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 02:27, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> because you just shifted to arguing that "since GnuPG defaults to
> AES-256, we need to use RSA-15000 by default otherwise the asymmetric

FWIW:

    The rationale why we use the order AES256,192,128 is
    for compatibility reasons with PGP.  If gpg would
    define AES128 first, we would get the somewhat
    confusing situation:

      gpg -r pgpkey -r gpgkey  ---gives--> AES256
      gpg -r gpgkey -r pgpkey  ---gives--> AES

PGP prefers AES256 for the simple reason that the marketing deptartment
told the engineering that 256 sounds stronger than 128 (according to one
of their lead developers).

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner