gpg-rsa-key decryption with a mobile

Mike Cardwell gnupg at lists.grepular.com
Fri Dec 20 10:28:28 CET 2013

* on the Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 07:03:57PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:

>> Since you are mentioned in this webpage, do you know by any chance
>> whether gpgsm is vulnerable in a similar way?
>
> gpgsm uses Libgcrypt and Libgcrypt employs RSA blinding for a long time
> now.  Thus it is not vulnerable.  The reason Libgcrypt has RSA blinding
> is that it is used by online protocols like TLS were it is easy to mount
> certain timing attacks in the LAN.  With GnuPG these calls of network
> based attacks are not possible and thus we did not used blinding in
> GnuPG-1.

I have a V2 OpenPGP SmartCard. I'm wondering if this would be vulnerable
to the attack in question? Also, what about the Crypto Stick? Presumably
these generate the same sort of noise during signing/decryption that
the CPU would, but there's nothing GnuPG can do in software to mask it?

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F