Printing PGP Businesscard

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sat Dec 28 02:03:31 CET 2013

[rearranging top-posted-ness for chronological sanity]

On 12/27/2013 01:12 PM, Avi wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Olav Seyfarth <olav at enigmail.net> wrote:
>> Apart from the question about whitespace, there are no OpenPGP related
>> fields defined in vCard, neither for keyIDs, key-download-URLs nor fingerprints
>> (yet).
>
> So what is the "KEY" field then (see the wikipedia link you brought and
> this <http://www6.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg01849.html

I agree with Avi that the KEY field offers a vCard-specific OpenPGP
reference.  But the two mechanisms offered have major drawbacks:

KEY lets you include either the full OpenPGP key (very large with modern
RSA keys!) or a download URL (not cryptographically verifiable).

the syntax for KEY has also changed from version to version of vCard :(

I'll try to write up the proposed OPENPGP4FPR: field more explicitly
since it is both short and cryptographically verifiable.  You can of
course combine OPENPGP4FPR with the KEY field in a vCard record if you like.

Regards,

	--dkg