ePGP extension for mobile

Olav Seyfarth olav at enigmail.net
Tue Dec 31 02:56:00 CET 2013

Hi Edwin,

> The question is about data-in-motion (email). "Is there a way to extend the
> deployment to cater for emails sent from mobile devices (running Android
> and iOS OSes)?"

I am sure you did a search before you posted this, didn't you?
It should have revealed at least these:

ANDROID

AFAIK K9/Kaiten + APG was the first OpenPGP Mail solution for Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kaitenmail
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.thialfihar.android.apg

There also is a fully integrated app; its UI is not as smooth as Kaiten yet:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.rundquadrat.android.r2mail2

A standalone GnuPG implementation (e.g. for key management or own solutions):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.guardianproject.gpg

IOS

I don't own/use Apple phones, so I cannot rate these apps, please test yourself:
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/opengp/id414003727
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/ipgmail/id430780873

<OT>

I cannot tell the quality of those apps in respect of robustness against attacks
or about the qualification of their developers. If you use these apps, you
effectively trust them blindly. I'm not telling you shouldn't (I also use them).
But taking into account that implementing a crypto system is the "hard part" and
most past practical attacks against crypto systems only were only feasible due
to weak programming or system engineering (and not the crypto itself, which most
probably is used by these apps in form of libraries), it's worth thinking about.
Well, but what's the alternative? Bying something from RSA? *smirk*

Although I hold a dregree in computer scince, I am not a programmer and cannot
peer review these apps. But I feel this would be necessary and maybe someone on
the list already reviewed or is willing to one or another app source. Would be
interesting to hear about. Concering this list: is that too off-topic?

Due to the nature of device roaming, on mobile devices other questions arise,
too. At least think about device authentication, encrypted storage (device/app),
and whether want to use/store the same secret key (or use different (sub)keys).

</OT>

Olav
- --
The Enigmail Project - OpenPGP Email Security For Mozilla Applications