Unable to access Crypto Stick with gpg2

Wed Feb 13 23:32:29 CET 2013

Am Mi 13.02.2013, 20:16:01 schrieb Jan Ignatius:

> Coming back to your original proposal, could you give me some guidance
> on how i can check the user permissions for the Crypto Stick?

That's easy:

lsusb shows you the bus and device number.

ls -l /dev/bus/usb/002/
for all devices on bus 2 or

ls -l /dev/bus/usb/002/006
for a single device, the 6th e.g.

> usb 1-1.2: >new full-speed USB device number 5

I think that means that you have connected the device to bus 2 which is a
USB 1.1 bus. The kernel has given the device the number 5. This is not always
the same. If you disconnect and reconnect it will probably have the next
number. No idea whether there is an overrun after 999 ;-)

So you should see the access rights with
ls -l /dev/bus/usb/002/005

You may configure udev so that a symlink is created (/dev/cryptostick-0 or the
like) and that the device rights are set accordingly. But that is not GnuPG-
specific.

Hauke
--
☺
PGP: 7D82 FB9F D25A 2CE4 5241 6C37 BF4B 8EEF 1A57 1DF5 (seit 2012-11-04)