Unable to access Crypto Stick with gpg2

Jan Ignatius email at janignatius.fi
Sat Feb 16 10:42:42 CET 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:03:45 +0100
Peter Lebbing <peter at digitalbrains.com> wrote:

> >> /bin/ps -e -o pid,supgrp,args
> > 1878 -                                        /usr/sbin/pcscd
>
> pcscd will have GUID pcscd, so it's not a supplementary group. With
> $ ps -e -o pid,egroup,supgrp,args
>
> You'll most likely notice "pcscd" in the second column for that
> daemon.

If I run "scdaemon --daemon", then ps -e -o pid,egroup,supgrp,args, I
get:

4415 jan      adm,cdrom,sudo,dip,plugdev,lpadmin,samba scdaemon --daemon
1911 root     -                                        /usr/sbin/pcscd

So no "pcscd" for the scdaemon.

While searching for more information, I stumbled on this discussion
thread from 2011:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2011-January/025911.html

That seemed propose a patch that would make scdaemon behave better when
a smart card is removed from the system (and not spam the syslog with
endless errors and prevent further access to the card). Did this ever
make it to a release of gnupg?

Also, is there a known release of gpg2 that people use with OpenPGP
cards that I could fall back to? Or a known Linux
distribution+gnupg version combo I could try?

(I would really like to sever my dependency to Microsoft Windows and move my correspondence to
Linux but I need access to my signing keys before that can happen. :-/)

--
Jan <email at janignatius.fi>
PGP Key: https://janignatius.fi/pgp