Reliably determining that the agent is available and starting it if not

Craig Ringer craig at 2ndquadrant.com
Fri Feb 22 03:32:38 CET 2013

On 02/22/2013 09:18 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
> I have the following script that does this for you in a Unix'y
> environment, assuming your DE doesn't already handle it:

What I'm hoping for is something I can use in a utility script, so that
the user doesn't have to mess with their (likely distro-specific) login
session setup details. If they already have an agent, I want to use it,
and if they don't I want to start one for the ues of the script.

If I need to I can take the approach you have there, where you set the
agent up globally across the user session, and just make people perform
the setup steps if their DE doesn't already provide an agent. I was just
hoping for something a bit more transparent.