Is it possible to use keys that aren't on the keyring?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Feb 22 20:34:47 CET 2013

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:43, jtreinen at gmail.com said:

> user's keychain, however, I was wondering if it is possible to perform
> crypto operations using keys that are not on the keyring.  For example,

No.  GPG needs to know the keys, for example to compute the web of
trust.  Eventually we will add an optional expiration date to keys in
the keyring so that they can be removed automatically.  GPGSM has a
similar feature for many years (--with-ephemeral-keys) to help searching
LDAP servers.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner