US banks that can send PGP/MIME e-mail

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Feb 23 14:01:05 CET 2013

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:55:57 -0500
Robert J. Hansen articulated:

> On 02/22/2013 01:24 PM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
> > Have any consumer banks in the US figured out how to use PGP, so
> > monthly statements can be truly *delivered*?
>
> OpenPGP, no, because there's no business case for them to do so.
> OpenPGP users represent a phenomenally small fraction of their
> userbase (probably <1%) and would account for a large fraction of
> their tech support questions.
>
> S/MIME, yes, some banks have discovered the benefit.  However that's
> still mostly a business-to-bank thing as opposed to consumer-to-bank,
> since S/MIME is a technology that's not exactly ready for consumers.

I find your statement regarding S/MIME erroneous; however, we can just
agree to disagree on that matter. Neither one of us will ever win the
argument.

My bank and credit card company, sends me a monthly link to a secure
URL that affords me the opportunity to view my statements. I also have
the option of downloading in PDF, CSV or MS Excel format my statement.
I have never received a plain email statement detailing my banking
records.

Unless I am seriously misreading this thread, I am not sure what
advantage either PGP or S/MIME would afford.

--
Jerry ♔