US banks that can send PGP/MIME e-mail

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Feb 23 17:26:31 CET 2013

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:31:26 +0000
Andy Ruddock articulated:

> Jerry wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > My bank and credit card company, sends me a monthly link to a
> > secure URL that affords me the opportunity to view my statements. I
> > also have the option of downloading in PDF, CSV or MS Excel format
> > my statement. I have never received a plain email statement
> > detailing my banking records.
> >
> > Unless I am seriously misreading this thread, I am not sure what
> > advantage either PGP or S/MIME would afford.
>
> The point being that you get a link. If the banks used PGP or S/MIME
> then they could actually send you your statements.

Well, each to his/her own I suppose; however, I would not approve of
the file being sent to my PC regardless. There is always the
possibility of the email being intercepted and exploited or my PC being
compromised. If I want confidential information delivered to my PC,
that should be my business. If an institution wanted to offer that
option, and thereby being issued a released of responsibility, I have no
objections to it.

I do not consider the clicking on of a secure link and downloading the
document to be an inconvenience, but rather a security feature,
especially when the documents(s) can be downloaded in several formats.
I realize that not everyone will agree with me. Que Sera, Sera

--
Jerry ♔