Questions about OpenPGP best practices

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Tue Feb 26 01:06:00 CET 2013

On 2/25/13 5:54 PM, Peter Loshin wrote:

> 1. "Don't use pgp.mit.edu". Which keyserver *should* be used? I assume
> that a pool is better than a particular server; is there one
> particular pool that is preferred? What about
> http://pool.sks-keyservers.net/?

Yep, that's the one you want.

> 2. On keeping an encrypted backup of my secret key material, what
> method is recommended for doing that? (Presumably something like "gpg
> --export-secret-keys | gpg --output secretkeymatter.gpg --symmetric"?)

If you are using a passphrase, your secret key will already be
encrypted.  I don't see any advantage to double-encrypting.

--
Grant

Confidential info? Please encrypt or send via:
https://privacybox.de/grant.msg

"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."