Is a document signed with hellosign legally binding?

Morten Kjærulff mortenkjarulff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:43:33 CET 2013

Hi,

This is a off topic question, but I do not know where to go with it.

I just signed up with hellosign.com. It is a service where you upload an
image file with your handwritten signature. Later on you can upload a
document and they will merge your signature and document, and mail it to
the one you specified. (at least that is how I understand it)

They claim (http://www.hellosign.com/info/faq) that electronic signatures
are legally binding, and refer fx to "European Directive (EC/1999/93)" (
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/esignature/docs/electronic_sig_report.pdf).
As far as I can see, this document is about digital signing using
certificate and so on.

As I see it, the service provided by hellosign.com has nothing to do with
the topics in "European Directive (EC/1999/93)".

Am I right or wrong?

/Morten