Paperkey 1.3

Thomas Harning Jr. harningt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:35:30 CET 2013

You may want to check out my blog post about key backup[1]. In it I
mention two bar-code style backup solutions:
 * PaperBack [2]
 * Twibright Optar [3]

I also investigated QR codes and other 2D bar codes.. however they did
not seem to scale well to large amounts of data...

I found that PaperBack, while being a Win32 app (runs fine in Wine)
works beautifully for storing quite a bit of data with redundancy and
handling for user-level printers. Quoting the page "If you have a good
laser printer with the 600 dpi resolution, you can save up to 500,000
bytes of uncompressed data on the single A4/Letter sheet." ... quite a
bit to store your entire secret keyring ... though you could use
paperkey + this to permit bumping up redundancy / dot-size quite a
bit.

Twibright Optar has quite a bit of promise, but requires quite a bit
of pre-processing and noise removal (not to mention source-code edit
to change dot-size to work nicely with non-super printers).

1: http://blog.eharning.us/2011/04/key-backup-for-paranoid.html
2: http://ollydbg.de/Paperbak/
3: http://ronja.twibright.com/optar/

Thomas Harning Jr. (http://about.me/harningt)