Invalid packet error message

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jan 8 09:17:45 CET 2013

On Mon,  7 Jan 2013 22:14, bd9439 at att.com said:

>    gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=70)
>
> Does anyone know what this means?  I tried several Google searches but

Your input data is corrupted.  OpenPGP messages are constructed from
several packets, each packets starts with a tag byte commonly called CTB
indicating the type of the packet and how the length of the packet is
specified. 0x70 is not a valid CTB, thus you see this message.

A common cause for a corrupted message is the use of a non binary clean
channel (e.g. using ftp without switching to binary mode).  Mail
software may also corrupt the message.  Ask the sender of the message to
encapsulate it in a ZIP or tar file and than unzip it before decrypting.
If this works or you can't unzip it your transport channel is non 8 bit
clean.  A quick work around would be the use of the --armor or -a
option.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner