Problem with keys

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jan 17 03:48:44 CET 2013

On 01/16/2013 09:40 PM, Leo Treasure wrote:
> Thanks dkg. I created the key under normal circumstances using version:
> gpg (GnuPG/MacGPG2) 2.0.19
> libgcrypt 1.5.0

i'm afraid i don't know what "the normal circumstances" are for MacGPG
-- maybe there's better forum for MacGPG someplace?

> When setting up the keypair I did not provide an email address.

that's OK, the e-mail address is part of the User ID, and the choice of
User ID(s) is orthogonal to the settings on your primary key or any of
your subkeys.

> Could it be that I am using the Mac version that I got this unusual
> keypair setup?

Maybe -- i have never tried it.  Perhaps someone else else on this list
has more experience with it, though.  If MacGPG is setting up default
keys with such unusual usage flags, it'd be good to know about it.

	--dkg