gpg on windows 2008 running from task scheduler as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM fails with exit code 255

Johannes Scholz js at vinci-info.com
Wed Jan 23 12:40:06 CET 2013

Hello,

I am trying to run some gpg operations from a script on windows.
Said script works perfectly fine when I run it as a "normal" user account.
When launched from the task scheduler (which launches the script as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM) it just exits, the exit code is being set to 255.
Nothing on stderr or stdout.

One example command that fails:

"C:\Program Files\Some App\Update\gpg\gpg2.exe" --list-public-keys --with-colons --homedir "C:\Program Files\Some App\Update" XXXXXXXX

The home directory I specified with —homedir exists and the System user has full access to that directory and its contents.
I added gpg2.exe to windows 2008's data execution prevention (DEP) exception list.

At this point I am out of ideas. Other binaries uses by the script (wget, 7zip) work just fine, even when run as System user.

gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.17 (Gpg4win 2.1.0)
libgcrypt 1.4.6

Thoughts?

Regards,