not recognizing my passphrase after moving from XP to Win7

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 12 16:16:34 CEST 2013

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:23, hhhobbit at securemecca.net said:

> replace some of the bytes (actually nibbles).  The reason why again
> I when I omitted the random_seed file gnupg (1 or 2) would NOT just
> create the file.  I imagine it would if I used the keys on Windows

If gpg terminates properly it creates this file.  In any case it is
merely a way to speed up operations by pre-seeding the RNG.  Even if
that file exists and GnuPG has to create a new key it will replace 50%
of its entropy pool by fresh entropy.  In any case the pool is never
used directly but always updated with sufficient new entropy.

It really should create random_seed after you deleted it.  It may not
happen always, but then the next start of gpg will just be a bit slower.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner