Multiple email addresses - any alternative to ask everyone to sign all my keys?

Einar Ryeng einarr at pvv.org
Wed Jul 24 11:52:52 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 07:50:48PM +0200, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:

> Of course it is annoying to have to ask everyone to sign three keys -
> after all they are all my keys, and the people I ask to sign my key all
> get to see the same passport. Is there a better alternative?

I've never thought of this as an issue at all. Lots of people have several
keys, both due to different "identities" (private vs. corporate etc) or due to
periodic generation of new primary keys.

For me, the main obstacle when signing other people's keys is actually to
bother to sit down and boot into my secure environment with my primary keys.
Whether I sign one or ten keys once I'm in isn't really an issue.

Also, I tend to disagree with some of the other replies on security that
recommends not using GPG anywhere except within a very secure environment. If
you're at a university, your university key should have at least the same
security as the environment the unencrypted data reside in. The fact that you
also have a private, corporate or military encryption key with other key
policies is irrelevant in that respect.

I'd just stick to three different keys if I were you. Nobody will care that
they have to sign three keys rather than one or two. But you could also look
into the OpenPGP smart card options if you want to simplify your keychain.

--
Einar Ryeng