--batch --gen-key error with "Key-Type: default"

Mikael "MMN-o" Nordfeldth mmn at hethane.se
Thu Jul 25 23:15:54 CEST 2013

Hi list,

when I try to generate a key in batch mode, I get an error whenever
Key-Type and Subkey-Type is "default". I'm wondering if I'm doing
something wrong or if this is a bug.

There is no problem when I replace the value "default" with a proper
algorithm name (such as RSA).

This is the command I'm using:

   $ gpg --homedir="batchtest" --batch --gen-key <<EOF
Key-Type: default
Subkey-Type: default
Name-Real: Joe Tester
Name-Comment: with stupid passphrase
Name-Email: joe at foo.bar
Expire-Date: 0
Passphrase: abc
%commit
EOF

This is the output I'm getting:

   gpg: -:1: invalid algorithm

The problem occurs on my Debian 7.1 and Ubuntu 13.04 machines, both
running gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.12

According to this manual on gnupg.org, 'default' should work as a Key-Type:
http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg-devel/Unattended-GPG-key-generation.html

> "algo may either be an OpenPGP algorithm number or a string with
> the algorithm name. The special value ‘default’ may be used for
> algo to create the default key type; in this case a ‘Key-Usage’
> shall not be given and ‘default’ also be used for ‘Subkey-Type’."

Am I the culprit here, or is there a bug to squash? :)

--
Mikael "MMN-o" Nordfeldth
XMPP/mail: mmn at hethane.se
http://blog.mmn-o.se/