Why trust gpg4win?

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Fri Jul 26 00:58:14 CEST 2013

On 07/25/2013 07:34 PM, takethebus at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> why should I trust gpg4win? I have doubts since it was ordered by the
> "Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik (BSI)", which has
> close connections to secret services. Is gunPT any better? Finally, why
> should I trust gunpg? I'm a windows user.

That is up to you, but since GPG4WIN has both GnuPG and many
bundled GUI apps and is freely available from Gnu there is
nothing to prevent BSI from using it.  Many human rights
activists also use either GPG4WIN or the pay version of OpenPGP,
PGP from Symantec.  Does that have any effect on your decision?

Did you mean GnuPT?  Under the hood it still is just WinPT plus
GnuPG so you are back at the same feeding trough.  It is just
that WinPT is older than the GUI tools bundled with GnuPG in
GPG4WIN.

A better question might be, should I trust Windows?  With the
10,000 malware I have studied with only a few POC DMG files
for Macintosh and the rest being almost all Windows binaries
maybe not.

I think what you want is GPG4WIN from http://gpg4win.org which
is newer than Windows PT and works much better.  Both WinPT and
Kleopatra and the other programs bundled into GPG4WIN are using
GnuPG at the core.  WinPT is just the older GUI technology that
goes with GnuPG on Windows.  GPG4WIN includes newer GUI tools
that should work better.

HHH