Why OpenPGP is not wanted - stupid is in vogue right now

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 11 05:37:10 CEST 2013

On 06/10/2013 03:39 PM, Mark Rousell wrote:

> I just wanted to say that you have neatly encapsulated my feelings
> on the subject: Stupid is in vogue.
>
> My concern is that it will be for a long time to come. It is
> ironic that technology is, to a considerable extent, what has made
> it possible. So much is taken care of by technology that it is
> simple and easy to be "stupid". You can get away with it. That
> suits the data miners of this world just fine.

In 1962, Consumers Union hosted a conference entitled Passenger Car
Design and Highway Safety. Lots of engineers, etc., were there and
presented papers.

One was a guy named John Fitch who designed and drove race cars. While
it was not the main point of his presentation, at one point he mused
that perhaps all cars should be designed like race cars. In
particular, 6 speed non-synchromesh manual transmissions, grabbing
clutches, no power steering, no power brakes, no radios, etc.

He said the added complexity would have two benefits:

1.) Some really stupid people would not be able to drive them because
they would be stalled out most of the time.

2.) Those who could get them to move would have to pay a higher level
of attention to what they were doing than the average driver.

Of course he did not seriously propose the idea as a real course of
action. But it is interesting to think about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fitch_%28racing_driver%29