Why OpenPGP is not wanted - stupid is in vogue right now

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Wed Jun 12 01:29:02 CEST 2013

On 06/10/2013 08:46 AM, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
<snip>
> is because for what ever reason they want to complain like mad
> about Prism but then go to Facebook and broadcast their personal
> lives to the entire world.  Why?  I would like to say I don't
> know why and that it could be used for a doctoral dissertation

The reason why is that they are narcissistic.  A good book to
understand younger people today is "The Narcissism Epidemic -
Living in the age of Entitlement."  But Jean M. Twenge
at San Diego State (Ph.D. from the University of Michigan) and
her cohort W. Keith Campbell at the University of Georgia (Ph.D.
from the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill) are not
graduate students.  I have bad news for them.  The narcissism
has spread far beyond the United States borders now.  Yes, I
have a degree in Psychology as well as degrees in Mathematics
and Computer Science and was just considered for  a teaching
position at a University.  I turned it down.  I am holding out
for that junior level Unix / Linux administration position that
is commensurate with my experience.  That is not a joke.  It is
what I am best at and that is now the level I should work at.

So you if you want to see the social-psychnological reasons
for why encryption is eschewed, read the book.  The puzzle part
for me is why many older people are also falling prey to stupid
ideas just like they are teen-agers that have to be with the
in-crowd.

It does NOT bode well for getting encryption used by a lot of
people though.  I just wished I could walk into a Radio Shack
store and purchase my Torx screw-drivers without some stupid
grinning sales person trying to ram an iS**t device down my
throat.  I apologize to the Road Warriors that must use such
a device but I don't want one. I am NOT on Facebook or Twitter
either.  And I unapologetically use encryption when it is
appropriate.  Thanks Zimmerman, Werner, and crew.

HHH