Clarifying the GnuPG License

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Wed Jun 12 11:49:39 CEST 2013

Am 12.06.2013 07:24, schrieb Navin:
> Hi,
Hi!

> Since GnuPG comes under the GPL, I would like to clarify if a person's
> proprietary software makes use of GnuPG purely by invocation of the
> commandline commands, and the GnuPG exe's and DLL's are bundled
> unmodified with the person's proprietary software, can the person use
> GnuPG commercially in this manner without having to publish his/her
> source code?

IANAL but from my understanding:
1. by invocation of the commandline commands: Yes
2. invocation of GnuPG exe: Yes
3. Linking, dynamically or statically, against a GnuPG DLL, presumed
that it is licensed under GPL: No

The DLL usage would require the DLL to be licensed under LGPL, which
is the very reason why LGPL was invented.

Im am not sure which parts of the GnuPG suit are licensed under which
license though, e.g. if the GnuPG DLL (if such exists at all) is
licensed GPL or LGPL.

Cheers
  nils

--
kernel concepts GmbH       Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48