encrypting to a user, "There is no assurance this key belongs to the named user"

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Fri Jun 21 12:00:47 CEST 2013

On 06/21/2013 07:50 AM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Recently I upgraded a Debian machine from squeeze to wheezy,
> which lead to upgrading gnupg from 1.4.10 to 1.4.12.  And
> immediately noticed that many automated tools I used stopped
> working, refusing to encrypt with the error indicated in the
> subject.
>
> $ gpg --batch -q --encrypt --recipient rconf < foo > foo.enc
> gpg: 468E35BC: There is no assurance this key belongs to the named user
> gpg: [stdin]: sign+encrypt failed: unusable public key

Who or what is "gconf"?  If that is what is actually used then
it is neither an email address or the keyid.  I suggest as your
first step replacing "rconf" with the actual key-id (number) you
want to encrypt for to see if that works. It is just that GnuPG
seems to be having problems with the supplied user name.  If
rconf was meant to be an email address either it doesn't match
that field completely or maybe you had a define in your
~/.gnupg/gpg.conf that is now missing.

We can go from there if this doesn't work.