Transfer subkey to other keyring

Jack Bates di44vq at nottheoilrig.com
Thu Jun 27 18:55:25 CEST 2013

On 27/06/13 12:49 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:00, di44vq at nottheoilrig.com said:
>
>> Thanks Werner, I want to keep my primary key on a separate keyring
>> (does this require putting subkeys under a different primary key?)
>
> No.  We use a stub key instead.  The command is
>
>    gpg --export-secret-subkeys KEYID >newkey.gpg
>
> Run that command on a secure box.  On your everyday box make sure that
> the secret KEYID does not exist and then import newkey.gpg.

Thanks Werner, I think that is the command I am running (and that is
giving me the error), except that I am using the key id of a subkey,
with an exclamation mark, to export just one subkey instead of all the
subkeys belonging to the primary key. The subkey with that key id
definitely doesn't already exist in the destination keyring, although
the destination keyring does already contain a different subkey. I tried
to import the new subkey with and without "--import-options merge-only",
but in both cases I get the same error:

    gpg: key 7FABB65F: already in secret keyring
    gpg: Total number processed: 1
    gpg:       secret keys read: 1
    gpg:  secret keys unchanged: 1