How to share my private key with others?

ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 10:51:44 CET 2013

Hey Alex,

On Thu Mar 14 10:33:53 2013, wow721 at yahoo.cn wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am using your software (Gpg4win, GPA) to encrypt and decrypt files. It really helps me a lot. However, I encounter a problem. I wanna share my private key with my team members so that they could decrypt files which are encrypted with my public key. Could you please let me know how to do that? Your prompt reply would be highly appreicated! Thanks a lot.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex

though its generally possible through a special command, I would have to check the manual first, that's not how gnupg or pgp in general is supposed to work.

Actually your team members, of course should have Gpg4win or 4any other system, installed and have their own private keys, one for each member.

Then you share your public key with the team members and encrypt the file with your private key.

When you encrypt a file, you tell gnupg which recipient you want to encrypt this file for, means, for which public keys from your team members you want to encrypt the file for.

Everyone who has any the right private key, that belongs to any of these recipients public keys, that are in your public keyring, can then decrypt the file again.

This way you only share public keys, and never share private keys. Its a security breach actually to share private keys, but there are options to back-up your private keys, which again is a way to share it.

Just better use pgp like its designed for.

cheers, ingo