IDEA License

Jan Chaloupecky chaljan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 16:00:36 CET 2013

It is clear to me that the patent expired but it is not clear how I'm
allowed to use the sourced of idea.c

I have to use GnuPG 1.4.10 and a self compiled idea.c  from here
ftp://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/gentoo/distfiles/idea.c.gz

so the question is .. can I ship the idea shared object with my software?
The idea.c contains the following comments. So if I understand it
correctly, I just have to add this somewhere in the documentation of my
software.

/* idea.c  -  IDEA algorithm
 * Copyright (c) 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002 by Werner Koch (dd9jn)
 *
 * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
 * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
 * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
 * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
 * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
 * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
 *
 * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
 * all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
 * WERNER KOCH BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER
 * IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
 * CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
 *
 * Except as contained in this notice, the name of Werner Koch shall not be
 * used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other dealings
 * in this Software without prior written authorization from Werner Koch.
 *
 * DUE TO PATENT CLAIMS THE DISTRIBUTION OF THE SOFTWARE IS NOT ALLOWED IN
 * THESE COUNTRIES:
 *     AUSTRIA, FRANCE, GERMANY, ITALY, JAPAN, THE NETHERLANDS,
 *     SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, THE UK AND THE US.
 */

--
Jan