chaljan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 16:00:36 CET 2013
It is clear to me that the patent expired but it is not clear how I'm
allowed to use the sourced of idea.c
I have to use GnuPG 1.4.10 and a self compiled idea.c from here
so the question is .. can I ship the idea shared object with my software?
The idea.c contains the following comments. So if I understand it
correctly, I just have to add this somewhere in the documentation of my
/* idea.c - IDEA algorithm
* Copyright (c) 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002 by Werner Koch (dd9jn)
* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
* copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
* to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
* the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
* and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
* Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
* The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
* all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
* THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
* IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
* WERNER KOCH BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER
* IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
* CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
* Except as contained in this notice, the name of Werner Koch shall not be
* used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other dealings
* in this Software without prior written authorization from Werner Koch.
* DUE TO PATENT CLAIMS THE DISTRIBUTION OF THE SOFTWARE IS NOT ALLOWED IN
* THESE COUNTRIES:
* AUSTRIA, FRANCE, GERMANY, ITALY, JAPAN, THE NETHERLANDS,
* SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, THE UK AND THE US.
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:46, chaljan at gmail.com said:
> > is the IDEA algorithm licensed? Under which conditions am I allowed to
> > the idea extension in a commercial product?
> I assume your question is: Is the IDEA algorithm patented?
> It was patented and this was one or the main reasons to develop GnuPG as
> the free PGP replacement.
> Meanwhile the patent expired:
> * Patents on IDEA have expired:
> * Europe: EP0482154 on 2011-05-16,
> * Japan: JP3225440 on 2011-05-16,
> * U.S.: 5,214,703 on 2012-01-07.
> Thus if you have to decrypt old data you may now use a decent GnuPG
> versions to do that (1.4.13 or 2.x along an appropriate Libgcrypt
> Die Gedanken sind frei. Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gnupg-users