gpg for anonymous users - Alternative to the web of trust?

Paul R. Ramer free10pro at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 21:21:17 CET 2013

On 03/29/2013 11:17 AM, adrelanos wrote:
>> Using your real identity would be the alternative. The trade-off is
>> easier key signatures vs. identity obscurity.
>
>> It would only be safer in
>> the sense that there won't be a scandal when/if your identity is
>> uncovered.
>
> Why would that be a scandal? I've never claimed to be superior, perfect
> or acted otherwise arrogant about being super secure. Neither I claimed
> Whonix to be an unbreakable system. The claims the system makes are
> modest. Discovering me as high profile target (if I become that) would
> only demonstrate the limits of the system, show mistakes one can make
> and/or and show which improvements are waiting to get implemented.
>
> If one system fails, another one may get born and I am glad if I can be
> a part of this process of innovation.
>
> I think things like NSAKEY [1] ought more to be a scandal, not many
> people did care, did they?

A scandal is unlikely unless the people have wildly unrealistic
expectations in the performance of the victim.  The only way I could see
you having a scandal on your hands if your identity was revealed would
be if you made claims that it couldn't be discovered or your "followers"
looked up to you in some religious way and saw you as a kind of God-like
figure incapable of failure.

This is the kind of stuff that brings scandal in the minds of people who
look up to certain figures.  I doubt this applies to you.

Cheers,

--Paul

--
PGP ID: 0x3DB6D884
PGP Fingerprint: EBA7 88B3 6D98 2D4A E045  A9F7 C7C6 6ADF 3DB6 D884