difference between gpg.exe and gpg2.exe

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue May 21 11:08:36 CEST 2013

> who knows, what is the difference in using gpg.exe and gpg2.exe.

It's most likely that gpg.exe is GnuPG 1.4.x, and gpg2.exe is GnuPG 2.0.x.

GnuPG 1.4 is more suited for use on servers and the like, and GnuPG 2.0 is
recommended for use on the desktop.

GnuPG 1.4 is being maintained for situations where GnuPG 2.0 is not appropriate
or less appropriate.

> but what schould i use for generating key-pair on command line?

Both will work just fine. But I'd recommend using GnuPG 2.0 unless you have a
specific reason to use 1.4, such as needing it to work without an agent or
pinentry helper. If these terms mean nothing to you, just keep on using 2.0 :).

HTH,

Peter.