[OT] Why are you using the GPG / PGP keys?

Zece Anonimescu zece at riseup.net
Thu May 23 12:49:39 CEST 2013

Back in the days of PGP I generated quite a few keys. And toyed with
them as well. In time I discovered that people won't bother returning
the courtesy of signing. That people would rather make you read your
message over the phone than decrypt anything. And that a chain is a
strong as the weakest link so once encryption becomes spread is going to
be pretty useless.

I'm redescovering encryption from another point of view, the one of the
single user. As long as I do care about the data and I'm the sole user I
can employ whatever code I deem useful to make my data unreadable for a
third party, as long as the data does not leave my computer. Now I'm the
weakest link and I have no one to blame. Which is good. And along the
way I picked the anonymity concept. While in the real life that used to
be a given, same online there was no such thing. And I discover there
can be anonymity online. And that best code breakers use rubber hose
cryptography. So plausible deniability is something for a divorce trial.

That leads to the idea that having the cryptographic keys and signature
of one Emmanuel Goldstein instantly makes you Emmanuel Goldstein beyond
the proof of any photo ID telling another story.

So may I ask you why are you using the GPG keys?