[OT] Why are you using the GPG / PGP keys?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon May 27 17:32:37 CEST 2013

On 5/27/2013 5:44 AM, Jeff Fisher wrote:
> But what will they use once they start a job?  Surely they are not
> going to send the report their boss requested with Facebook.

Currently, one of the hot and trending ideas is to contract with
Facebook to provide corporate enclaves for such things.

Look at git as an example.  Ever since GitHub went up, a lot of
businesses have outsourced that service to them.  You think you're
accessing the company's git server, but in reality you're talking to a
particular walled-off portion of GitHub.

The same is being talked about for Facebook, Google+, and many other
social media platforms.  The idea is to provide a corporate enclave for
communication and forbid access to things like games, personal accounts,
and whatnot.

Businesses don't generally like email.  Between spam and security
issues, email has never really lived up to the utopian vision we had for
it in the Seventies.  It used to be that businesses ran their own email
services, but now many outsource it to Google or Microsoft in order to
enjoy lower operational costs.  If they can get lower operational costs
by moving to a Facebook-like platform, they'll do it in a heartbeat.