[tor-talk] BitMail.sf.net v 0.6 - Secure Encrypting Email Client

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Nov 15 17:53:07 CET 2013

> So... 'Robert', who do you work for? NSA? Financial crime?

FBI, actually, in counterintelligence.  No, wait, whoops, wrong Robert
Hanssen.  Sorry, I get confused about myself sometimes.

All kidding aside, we don't need to cast aspersions on the motives of
people who post here.  It is far, far more likely that someone is
innocently unwise about something than that someone is being
deliberately malicious.

> I mean, with the net moving to encrypt everything
> we'd expect to see many new and unknown yet seemingly
> polished tools being dropped on unsuspecting first time
> users just to collect their key material.

And this is, frankly, just paranoia.  New and unknown yet seemingly
polished tools have *always* been dropped on the computing community.
Always.  I remember a really neatly polished Mac OS file encryption
program that conveniently put the decryption key as plaintext in the
first few bytes of the output.

Making a beautiful-looking user interface is easy.  Making rock-solid
crypto is hard.  Those two facts by themselves mean there will always
be an abundance of beautiful-looking bad systems, and always a
shortage of primitive-looking solid systems.

Let's remember that this list is a community.  Let's not malign other
people's motives, and let's keep a sense of perspective about things,
okay?  :)