Proof of possession when exchanging keys

Phil Calvin phil at philcalvin.com
Fri Nov 15 17:39:30 CET 2013

That makes perfect sense. That's the approach I took on the most recent key I signed.

What attacks are mitigated by verifying control of the secret key, though? I am having a hard time grokking the benefit for someone whose ID you have verified to present and fingerprint a key which she does not control.

There is the possibility of an external party replacing the exchanged key with another, but doesn't the fingerprint adequately protect against that?