Using Gnupg from the command line with no arguments

Michael askquestion at consultant.com
Tue Nov 26 22:46:39 CET 2013

Hi, I am a new GPG user. (New to the command line, that is.) I know that if you type "gpg" without any arguments in a command line it starts a primitive sort of text editor where you can type a message that you later encrypt, sign, etc. How do you tell the text editor when you are done with the message? I have actually been flipping madly through the GPG documentation; I am not sure this is scenario is exactly covered. Can someone point me in the right direction? Using GPG Tools on Mac OS 10.9 and just trying to get more command line fluent.
Thank you for your help.
Mike