Decrypting symmetrically encrypted text in Command Line (CL) results in error message?

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Wed Nov 27 19:45:25 CET 2013

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM, "Sin Trenton" <biggles.trenton at gmail.com> wrote:

>If I want to decrypt a short text snippet, I have to
>
>  1. copy the snippet
>  2. paste it into a txt file
>  3. save the file
>  4. use "gpg -d file.txt"
>
>(The text is then read in the CL window, I have no interest in
>this case
>to save the decrypted text, just read it and e.g. check a
>reference)
>
>Is it possible to replace steps 2 and 3 by pasting in the text in
>the CL?
>
>I've tried "gpg [Enter]", but I always get the message "decryption
>failed: bad key" as you can see below.
>Everything below the encrypted message happened automatically when
>pasted in the text first time, though next time it did wait for me
>supply the passphrase, with same "bad key" result, however.
>
>Note that the last line "-----END PGP MESSAGE-----" disappears.
>Also,
>the prompt does not return to the standard ">", until I have done
>Ctrl+Z or Ctrl+C.
>
>  >gpg
>  gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...

=====

I get the same problem on windows,
It is very puzzling that it should work with a message encrypted to a public key, but not with a symmetrically encrypted message.

the same thing happens with cygwin and msys,
*but*
using msys, and printf  you can accomplish what you want to do.

(you can either install msys on windows, or use portableApps (www.portableApps.com) and install MSYSPortable.

Once msys is installed,  copy the following files into the MSYSPortable\Data\usr\local\bin\

gpg.exe ,   gpgsplit.exe ,  gpgv.exe  gpg-zip )

 Here is a symmetrical test message to try out: